Thursday, April 12, 2012

My Very First Project - Completed!

That's right!  I have officially completed my very first etched glass project.

Etched glass is something I have always wanted to do.  I grew up watching my mom work on etched glass projects at least monthly until well into my teenage years.  Then she got too sick to do it anymore, but my love of etched glass still rang true.  I actually have a lot of family members that do etched glass projects.  One aunt in particular takes it upon herself to etch a special mirror for each newly married cousin.  I have mine framed in my living room and it is definitely one of my most precious possessions.

When Ben told me the idea he had the Liberty's Standard, and how he wanted to get a whole bunch of custom made items, I knew I wanted to officially try my hand at etched glass.  Lucky for me, my mom had kept all her etched glass stuff with the hopes that she would be able to use them again someday.  Instant inheritance!  Then she proceeded to walk me through the basic steps of glass etching and I knew it was only a matter of practice before I held the skills she once held.

I have been contemplating my first project for several weeks now.  But with the move and the starting of the business and all that other official stuff, I haven't had much time to spend on it.  Until this last weekend.  I was able to put together my project from start to finish in just a few days.  Not bad for a first timer!  Now all I need to do is finish writing the story and the whole project will be ready for the official website.

I won't spoil the story until I finish writing it and get everything posted...but I will give you a sneak peak on the finished glass etching :-)



It's kind of hard to see.  I think I need to work on my photographing skills....But it is a glass picture frame with a little bit of a bow at the top and bottom so it can stand on its own without a stand in the back.  Both sides and the bottom feature baby footprints walking around the frame.  The top right corner and the bottom left corner features a double heart, and the bottom right corner sports a silhouette of a baby.  At the top in a pretty font it spells "Footprints on My Heart"

I am pretty proud of this picture frame.  Pretty good if I do say so myself.  Especially considering it was my first ever try at glass etching!  Hopefully I only improve from here!


No comments:

Post a Comment